kingborough-tigers-afl-logo
About
The club was founded in 1886 as Kingston Football Club and joined the STFA in 1893 as a junior club before playing its first senior match in the competition in 1895. After leaving that competition at the completion of 1907, the club joined the Channel Football Association for one season in 1908 before joining the Kingborough Football Association, where it remained a member from 1909 to 1966. After the horrific bushfires of Southern Tasmania in 1967, the club absorbed the Longley Football Club and joined the Huon Football Association where it remained a member until it left the Association at the completion of the 1995 season to join the newly formed Southern Football League in 1996.

After the SFL was split into two divisions from 2002–2008, the club was a member of the SFL Premier League where it competed amongst the Southern-based former clubs from the TFL.

In 2004 Kingston changed their name to Kingborough Tigers in order to broaden their appeal in the Kingborough region. After AFL Tasmania formed a new statewide competition to start in 2009, this one known as the Tasmanian State League, all teams from the SFL Premier League, with the exception of Kingborough and New Norfolk were invited to join.

Kingborough Football Club were knocked back by the sport’s governing body due to their poor standard home ground, Kingston Beach Oval (also known as “The Pit”). In 2011 the club moved into its brand new home at Huntingfield near Kingston, known as the Twin Ovals Complex which has strengthened its case for future inclusion in the Tasmanian State League.

In 2011 the Tigers broke through for their first premiership title in 14 years with an upset victory over the previously undefeated New Norfolk in the SFL Grand Final. Ahead of the 2014 season, Kingborough were granted a licence to compete in the TSL.

Website
Kingborough Tigers

Home Ground
Twin Ovals Complex

Location
Kingston is a town on the outskirts of Hobart. Nestled 12 km south of the city between and around several hills, Kingston is the seat of the Kingborough Council, and today serves as the gateway between Hobart and the D’Entrecasteaux Channel region, which meets the Derwent River nearby. Kingston has close ties with the Dutch community, where after 1950 many post-war immigrants moved to an area they called ‘Little Groningen’ (today Firthside). Kingston’s sister city is Grootegast, Netherlands.

Premierships
1930, 1933, 1936, 1948, 1953, 1958, 1960-61, 1965-66, 1980, 1991, 1995, 1997, 2011