Kaniva-Leeor United formed following the 1997 merger between Kaniva and Leeor and includes players from the Kaniva-Serviceton area. The team, called the Cougars, wear royal blue, green and white.
Organised football was played in Kaniva as early as the 1890s, and between the end of the first world war and the early 1960s the town’s football club enjoyed regular premiership success in a variety of competitions. Leeor Football Club was a prominent member of the Tatiara Football League for many years, and captured senior premierships in 1950, 1952 and 1966. During its later years Leeor was nicknamed the Jets, while Kaniva was known for many years as the Bulldogs.
Kaniva Leeor United Cougars
Kaniva Recreation Reserve, Farmers Street South, Kaniva
Kaniva is a town in Victoria, situated on the Western Highway, north of Little Desert National Park. It is located roughly 25 km east of the South Australian border and 43 km east of Bordertown. Kaniva’s economy is heavily based on agriculture. The wool industry is celebrated with Kaniva’s ‘sheep art’; statues along the main street painted by local community groups.