Claremont Tigers

Claremont Tigers AFL club

Claremont Tigers AFL logoAbout
The club was formed as the amateur Cottesloe Beach Football Club in 1906, and joined the peak amateur competition, the Western Australian Football Association the following year. The club dominated the WAFA from the outset, winning premierships from 1907–1910, and in 1908 it beat WAFL club Subiaco in a challenge match.

Applications by the club to join the WAFL were rejected for many years. In 1919, the Cottesloe Beach club merged with a consortium from Claremont which was also attempting to gain entry to the WAFL and had no contracted players, but claimed to have secured use of the Claremont Showgrounds, as a home ground. In 1921, the club was admitted to the WAFL “B” Grade competition, asC laremont-Cottesloe, using the same blue and gold colours as the local swimming club. It was finally admitted to the senior league in 1926.

In 1935 the club officially dropped ‘Cottesloe’ from its name, becoming simply ‘Claremont’.

Website
Claremont Tigers

Home Ground
Claremont Showgrounds, 6 Keane Avenue, Claremont

Location
Claremont is a western suburb of Perth, situated on the north bank of the Swan River. It was named Claremont in the 1880s by Mr James Morrison, the owner of Swan Location 702, after his wife, Clara.

Premierships
1938-39-40, 1964, 1981, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2011-12