Glenelg Tigers

Glenelg Tigers AFL club

Glenelg Tigers AFL logoAbout
The Glenelg Football Club was formed in 1920 and entered the South Australian League competition in 1921. It was not until 1925 that the club saw its first league victory, an 8 point win over West Torrens at Glenelg Oval.

“The Bays”, as they are sometimes known, won their first SANFL premiership in 1934 with an 18.15 (123) to 16.18 (114) victory against Port Adelaide. In total the club has won 4 premierships – in 1934, 1973, and back to back flags in 1985 and 1986.

Until 1948, the team jersey was gold with a black V, in 1949 the club adopted the now familiar black with gold sash design.

The Glenelg Football Club Song faced controversy during the 1970s as the original contained a line, “We’re dashing, we’re gay. We’re the pride of the Bay”. It was changed to “Tigerland” which was taken from the Richmond Football Club.

Website
Glenelg Tigers

Home Ground
Gliderol Stadium, Brighton Road, Glenelg

Location
Glenelg is a popular beach-side suburb of Adelaide, located 9 km from Adelaide’s CBD. Situated on the shore of Holdfast Bay in Gulf St Vincent, it has become a popular tourist destination due to its beach and many attractions, home to several hotels and dozens of restaurants. Established in 1836, it is the oldest European settlement on mainland South Australia. It was named after Lord Glenelg, a member of British Cabinet and Secretary of State for War and the Colonies. Through Lord Glenelg the name derives from Glenelg, Highland (previously Inverness-shire), Scotland.

Premierships
1934, 1973, 1985-86