Moreton Bay Lions

Moreton Bay Lions AFL club

Moreton Bay Lions AFL logoAbout
The club was formed in 1986 as the Southern Districts Australian Football Club. The original playing jumper was that of Essendon and were known as “The Bombers”.

The club commenced in the Sunshine Coast competition and played their first season in 1987.

In 1988 the club became incorporated and registered as Caboolture and Southern Districts Australian Football Club Inc. By mid 1990 the council had prepared a playing field on Beerburrum Road adjacent to the Historical Village. Club members and volunteers built a clubhouse and change rooms.

In 1991 the club progressed to the South Queensland Australian Football League and would play against suburban clubs of the greater Brisbane area. The club became the Bears and adopted the Brisbane Bears uniform in 1992. The club was very competitive during the 1990s and were runners up several times. In 1999 the club won its only senior premiership.

In December 2014 it was decided the club’s name would be changed from Caboolture to Moreton Bay.

Moreton Bay Lions

Home Ground
Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, AFL Precinct, Aquatic Centre Drive, Burpengary

Moreton Bay is a bay on the eastern coast of Australia, located 14 km from central Brisbane. It is one of Queensland’s most important coastal resources. The name Morton’s Bay was given by Captain Cook when he passed the area in 1770, honouring Lord Morton, president of the Royal Society.